So spring has sprung here – well that’s how I feel just because the rain has stopped. So time to freshen up the winter soups with a bit of zing and freshness of things to come.
I like to bulk up my soups as they don’t fill me up for long contrary to most people. This week I rooted through the fridge and found some ginger and chilli and the most delicious couscous from Aldi (see bottom of page – this is 1 ½ syns for the pack – I only used ½ pack in each bowl):
So here it is:
Spring Spiced Soup with Cous Cous – just under 1 syn if using ½ pack cous cous)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 1 red chilli, chopped
- 2 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 can chopped tomoatoes
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 can red kidney beans
- Lemon and Coriander cous cous
- Fry off onion, carrots, garlic, celery in fry light for couple of minutes.
- Add chilli and grated ginger, smoked paprika, cumin and fry until combined.
- Add in chicken stock cube, tomatoes and about 2 cans of water and stir, cook over low heat for about 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Season and blitz to consistency you like then add back to the pan and add kidney beans and heat until ready. You can add more water and seasoning if required.
- Prepare cous cous – I just throw it in bowl with 170ml water, cover with cling film for 3 mins and hey presto, done.
- Put soup in bowl, stir through cous cous and top with a little coriander or even lemon zest if you fancy (but this cous cous is quite lemony).
VIRTUALLY SYN FREE AND DELICIOUS